The Big Day

Before I talk about my continuing efforts to get fit I just wanted to thank everyone who read my last blog post which described losing our first son to stillbirth. Thank you for the lovely comments and for taking the time to read it.

So back to my tales of trying to get fit and training for the Bubble Run. When I last spoke about my training regime I was just recovering from my first Park Run and the Bubble Run was now only a week away. My plan in the week leading up to the run was to go for one or two more runs to make sure I'd recovered from the hill at the Ashton Court Park Run and be ready for the Bubble Run. After all it was the main reason for starting the training!!

Things change pretty quick and one phone call after the Park Run meant my plans for the week would have to be changed. Instead my training would consist of cycling to and from work every day. If I'm honest I was happy enough with that. I figured that rather than training just twice in the week I'd get a bit of distance and work in my legs continually through the week.

The morning of the park run arrived and the weather was overcast with a good chance of rain. At least if it rained it might keep us a bit cool - especially as the run was due off at around midday. Harrison told me as we ate breakfast that morning that he was nervous about the run and doing the distance. I tried my best to reassure him. Told him not to worry as I wouldn't be running the whole 5k in one go. I'd be ralking (see previous post for explanation) and that we could take as long as we wanted to complete the course, it was a bit of fun. I reminded him that we were going to go around the course with Mark, my managing director from work so we'd all be there to support each other.

Mark and I had spoken a bit in work over the last few weeks about the run. Marks sons were also doing the run but he expected them to disappear into the distance once the starting gun was fired. We agreed to get around the course together to support each other and finish together. Over the last few weeks we'd both been comparing notes on our training. We were comparing times we were taking to complete 5k and the sort of terrain we were doing it on and getting slightly competitive about it. As the day got closer we were both confident that we could complete the course and were hopeful of doing so in a respectable time. We were aiming for anything between 45 and 50 minutes. Anything more than that and we thought people pushing pushchairs might beat us to the finish!!

If I'm honest the prospect of running with Mark was making me nervous and put some pressure on me. I was going to run with the managing director of the company I work for. Doubts started creeping into my head - what harm would I do my prospects of enhancement if I over exerted myself and threw up on his trainers!! I really hadn't thought this through. If I embarrassed myself or beat Mark in a sprint to the finish line I'd be sweeping the yard every day from Monday!! Not the sort of thoughts I needed going through my head as Harrison and I got ready.

The in-laws were taking Harrison and me down to Burnham for the race and as I sat in the car on the way down to Burnham it started raining and I thought I may have got a bit carried away wearing my sunglasses!! We arrived at Apex Park and checked in for the race and went over to collect our t-shirts and I bought some very 80's-esque fluorescent sweatbands for Harrison. We waited around to meet up with Mark and his family and other friends from work that were taking part.

As the start time grew nearer I saw my friend Emma with her partner Phil and their sons. Phil and the boys were taking part in the race too and we stood around chatting and catching up. As we did the sun broke through and the temperature started to rise as the midday sun burnt away the clouds and mist. Everyone in work who was doing the run turned up and eventually like horses at the start of the Grand National we were all called over to the start line.

Mark, Harrison and myself stood together halfway through the massed starters. There was a foam machine on the start line that kicked into action and started spraying foam for us all to run through as we crossed the line. The run was started and we were off. The nervousness that Harrison had talked about at breakfast disappeared fairy quickly - as did he. I didn't see him from about 10 seconds after the start until I crossed the finish line some time later.

Mark and I started off on our journey around Apex Park. We'd already talked before the run about pacing ourselves. I'd spoken about my usual pacing - 50 running paces, 30 walking paces and repeat. We started off around the course and I felt quite good - going well over my 50/30 pacing. Not sure how far we went before I slowed down to a brisk walk but it felt like it might have been 100 metres or so. We were both looking around what we could see of the course to see where the other foam stations were and trying to get an idea of the route etc. In our pre-run chat Mark had said that Michelle (his wife) was going to stake out the green bubble station (the one BWOC were sponsoring) so we agreed to make sure we were in a position to run through the green station and look fit and confident and then when we were out of Michelle's sight we could slow down and have a walk to recover.

It didn't take to long before we approached the first bubble station. Here the bubbles were about knee high (on me). My only worry while going through the bubble stations was that I'd tread on some unsuspecting child!! Mark and myself navigated the first station with no problems. It was quite a distance between this and the next bubble station. The run took us along the bank of the River Brue before turning back into the park. I had my phone in its holder on my wrist with Strava recording the activity while Mark had his watch doing a similar job. So far we were doing a decent pace - the watch showing us doing 9 minute kilometres. We were on for a good time. From the 2nd bubble station we could see across to the 3rd bubble station which was the green station.

We figured we could finish running down the straight we were on then walk up the small slope and cross the park to the green bubble station. Once down the slope we could canter into the green station and then put on a bit of a sprint through the green station to look good and impress Michelle with our efforts before coming to a halt just out of her sight to recover and catch our breath. We approached the green bubble station where the bubbles appeared to be a lot deeper than the other stations we'd gone through so far. I'm 6ft 3 inches tall and the bubbles were well above waist height. I took one step into the green bubbles and started one of the most impressive skids of my life. I slipped on the bubbles under foot and picked up a bit of speed as I ploughed through the bubbles eventually slowing down and regaining my footing about half way through the station.

For a second or so my heart was in my mouth. As I began picking up speed in my skid, the only thing that was going to slow me down was Mark who was a couple of steps in front of me. I'm not sure a picture of me skidding through him and looking like I was rugby tackling the managing director in green bubbles would do my career any good - let alone the damage I'd do to Mark!! Luckily my skid stopped in time and although my arms were flailing around I tried to style it our and make it look like I was 'swimming' through the foam. Judge for yourselves from the picture below. As we exited the green bubble station I happened to look down and saw that the effect of running through the green bubbles made it look like I was wearing a pair of green leg warmers. How very 1980's of me!!

Once we got past the green station we slowed down to a walk to recover as planned. Mark checked his watch and we were still on for a decent time. We were currently going at a pace of just over 9 minutes per kilometre. We ran further into the park and towards the next bubble station. By the time we arrived the bubbles levels had receded and were negotiated with no further skids or incidents. The run at Apex Park took us along the side of the lake and out to the road that runs along side the park. As we approached the road I think we both felt quite good and we were running longer sections before walking. Looking ahead up the path we could see a bit of fencing where the arrows were directing runners to a right turn.  Mark and me agreed that we'd run to there and then slow to a walk and recover for a short period.

As we approached the fence we realise we should have stopped for a walk before we reached it. We could see as we got nearer that just after the right turn there was only about 30 metres to the finish line. With people there cheering we couldn't stop running so with a look to each other we just got our heads down and ground out the last metres of the run and crossed the finish line where 30 minutes from seeing him dash off into the distance I saw Harrison again with his medal for the race. Mark and I were presented with our medals and congratulated each other before turning off our timing devices. I looked down at my phone to see we'd completed the course in 30 minutes. I couldn't believe it I'd taken nearly 15 minutes off my personal best time for 5k. Then I realised the course had only been 3km!! All that training and Mark and me still had 2k in reserve.

It didn't matter to much to me that the run hadn't been the full 5k. I'd proved to myself that I could do it. I hadn't embarrassed myself in front of the managing director, people I work with and friends. Plus I'd really enjoyed doing it and was starting to feel the benefits of regular runs and cycling. A massive bonus was Harrison giving me a huge hug and telling me how proud he was of me for doing the run. I'm sure it was some sweat in my eye at this point that accounted for the water coming out of my eye and not crying or anything like that after Harrison told me that.

We hung around for a while after chatting to different people. One of Harrisons godmothers had come down to watch the race with her mother so we spent a while chatting to them. I even had someone come up and as me if I was Pete Byrom - turned out that Michelle who I went to college with and helped bully me into doing the Park Run had told a friend of hers I was doing the run and they recognised me!! The in-laws turned up to pick Harrison and me up and take us home for a well deserved shower so I could wash of the green 'leg-warmers' I was still sporting and have a rest.

Thank you to those who sponsored Harrison and me we raised £170 and overall the event raise £20,310 for Weston Hospice Care.

I did get asked by someone a few days after if I'd beaten Mark across the line as they'd seen a photo where it looked like I'd dipped for the finish line. In the interest of full disclosure I can confirm I didn't dip for the line - I stumbled on a bit of uneven ground as I went through the finish line so it looks like I dipped.

Honest.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Loss Awareness Week - A Fathers Story

Anxiety and Me...