Anxiety and Me...


Harrison (our youngest son) has been nagging me for a while to write some more blog posts. I've kept putting it off because I didn’t think I had much that was interesting to say. It might be that what I’m about to say now isn’t that interesting but that what I say is read by someone who can recognise what I have to say in themselves and do better than I’ve done. So here goes... 



It turns out I’m not as clever as I thought I was (yes, I'm already thinking of the humorous responses to that from friends, family and colleagues). Turns out I’m a dumbass. 



Don’t get me wrong I’d like to think I’m clever enough to hold my own in conversations about most subjects. There are some topics I like to think I can do very well in when it comes to conversations. Depending on who you speak to (for example - the current Mrs Byrom) it might be the topic of sports facts that nobody can ever make use of for example. 



It turns out what I’m not so clever at is trying to beat anxiety and stress. Something a doctor confirmed to me a couple of weeks ago. You see, I thought I was mentally tough enough to cope with anything life threw at me. All I’d based this on was how I thought I’d dealt with losing my mother-in-law suddenly, nearly losing my wife and then our eldest son being stillborn – all in the space of three months back in 2004. 



Turns out I’m a dumbass. 



I’d sat and watched programmes like ‘SAS Are You Tough Enough’ and realised that physically I wouldn’t be up to those challenges, but I thought that I was mentally tough enough. Turns out all I was good at was not taking my own advice and pushing my own feelings to one side and powering through.



I did this not because I was afraid of showing weakness but because I didn’t want to take a break from any of my commitments and let people down. I did it because although I always try and make myself available for others, I didn’t want to burden others with what was going on in my head.



It's not that I didn’t have plenty of friends I could speak to, it's just that when I thought about approaching one of them I felt bad because they’ve all got their own things going on and didn’t need to be bothered with what I tried to rationale in my own head, as trivialities.  



Problem was those trivialities were things like dealing with the death of my father. Trivialities like my wife having issues with her dialysis machine being broken down over a long period of time and many trips to Southmead Hospital for her to have dialysis. Trivialities like the prospect of her being activated on the transplant list in the New Year in hope of receiving a kidney and all the things running through my head about that. 



Turns out I am a dumbass. 



Since mid-June all these things had begun building up.  



It started with my dad being taken into hospital with a suspected chest infection that 10 days later was sepsis that was attacking his organs and his kidneys had shut down. From experience (speaking to Denise’s kidney doctors) I knew he had (at most) 2-3 weeks before he passed away. As it turns out he took the whole three weeks before passing away in the early hours of 3rd July.  



I went into ‘bloke mode’ (funny thing is my nickname at college was ‘bloke’ but that’s another story). I went around getting his death registered, notifying family members and friends who needed to be told that dad had passed away and then making those same phone calls once the arrangements had been made. There were arguments with family members who hadn’t had a lot of contact with dad over the last 10 years or so and didn’t like it that dad’s (and our) wishes weren’t the same as theirs.  

It was at this time I started doing things that I realise were a bit daft.



On the evening of the day that my dad died I went ahead with a meeting of the Sands United Football team I was setting up. All the guys in the team would have understood if I’d have not turned up or cancelled the meeting. My dad had told me, not long before he was taken ill, that he was proud of me setting up the football team and of all the other guys around the country doing the same. So, I felt I had to go ahead with the meeting. The support I got from the guys in the Bristol team and from the other managers around the country was amazing.



On the evening of dad's funeral, it was our monthly support meeting for Bristol Sands. I was now a trained befriender. I should’ve given the meeting a miss or at worst gone along just as a bereaved parent and not a befriender. I definitely needed a night off. Physically and mentally I was shattered. I figured that Dad’s funeral was over and there wasn’t anything I could do that evening if I stayed at home that night.  



On both occasions I justified my attendance partly because of how proud I knew my dad was of what I was doing and the work that Bristol Sands does. Partly because I’d made commitments to the football team and to Bristol Sands. If I’m honest about it, the main reason I did these things was because I didn’t want to deal with dad’s death. I knew I’d have to at some point, but I just wanted to wait until I was ready to deal with it. To deal with it when it was convenient for me. 



Turns out I’m a dumbass. 



As I’m writing this, I’ve also remembered something else that come up. I had a job interview. In London. The day before dad’s funeral. For any other job I probably would have tried to reorganise the interview. This was a job working for Sands as the Sands United Fundraising & Relationship Manager. I love volunteering with Sands and for my role with Sand United Bristol. This was an opportunity to work for Sands and help develop the Sands United brand further. A dream job.  

So, here I was in my multi-purpose suit (it does weddings, job interviews, funerals and bar mitzvahs) on the mega bus going to London for the interview.



There was no way I should’ve been on that bus. I’d written my presentation and felt like a fraud. There was no way I was good enough for this job. I should’ve rung up and apologised and cancelled the interview. I should’ve got off the coach at Victoria Coach station, had a coffee and got the next coach back. What was keeping me on the coach and got me standing up in front of the interview panel was thinking about my dad. It was thinking about the handful of people I’d told about the interview. It was not wanting to seem like a coward to them.  It was not wanting to let them down. 



Turns out I’m a dumbass. 



Once dad's funeral was over, rather than take some time to deal and cope with him dying, I found something else to throw myself into – organising Sands United Bristol FC’s launch game. This was now August and work was also busy. Most of the month of August, the transport team I work on is down to two of us at any one time as one of the three that makes up the entire team is on annual leave in August so our individual workloads go up. This was another reason I didn’t take any time for myself. I didn’t want to let work down and leave just one guy doing three guys’ work.



I’d be at it all day in work and then spend the evenings either replying to messages about the football or helping my wife with dialysis while trying to check on my mum and my brother and see how they were doing. 



This cycle of madness carried on through September – our launch game was at the end of September. Our launch game was an amazing occasion. We raised over £1,100 for the Sands United Bristol FC team [SC1] and created an amazing event - despite coming 2nd to our brothers from Cardiff in the match.

Any sensible person would have tried to take a break then. The morning after the game should’ve been the wake-up call I needed. I woke up in a lot of physical pain but also felt empty. Months of effort to get the launch game going had come to an end and I had nothing to replace it. I’d gone from waiting to deal with the death of my dad to trying to beat dealing with it and get past the point I needed to. 



Turns out I’m a dumbass. 



Instead of taking a breather and taking time to deal with all the emotion of everything that had happened, I threw myself into something else: At the beginning of October was ‘Baby Loss Awareness Week’. Before my dad had passed away, I’d come up with the idea of highlighting stories of baby loss from different perspectives – a mother, a father, a sibling, a midwife etc. I’d done this thinking that I’d get peoples submissions, format them and publish them across social media channels and that would be it. I didn’t realise how mentally draining it’d be reading those stories while publishing them.



When I came up with the idea of doing this there were two things that happened that I couldn’t anticipate happening at the same time. The first thing was a really positive thing that I didn’t (and am still not sure) how to deal with. I was nominated for and won a Volunteer of the Year award from Sands. Don’t get me wrong it is a massive honour to be nominated by other amazing volunteers within Sands and to receive the award. It’s just I don’t think of myself as being anything other than a small fish in the big pond that is Sands.



Like all of the other volunteers that inspire me and am lucky enough to call friends, I’m just doing what I can. I’m aware of others who I think do as much and have a bigger impact than me. It is just so humbling to think that others have taken the time to nominate me. As pleased as I was to be told I was receiving the award, there are two things I get uncomfortable with – sympathy and compliments. I’d never had a compliment like this before. 



The second thing was most definitely not positive. As I mentioned before Denise has dialysis. We’re lucky enough to have a machine installed at home to try and reduce the impact on our lives (dialysis takes 5hrs [SC2] every other day). However, these machines break down every now and then. We’ve been lucky with the reliability of the machines. Until now. We went through a six-week period where Denise’s machine was constantly broken. This meant trips to Southmead Hospital (a 50-mile round trip) every other day and mainly after I’d been at work all day. The odd trip isn’t too bad. Doing it for nearly six weeks is a bit of a choker. 



After a week or so of these trips I really felt myself struggling mentally to cope with it. I was sat in the hospital feeling teary. I felt like I was constantly on edge. Normally I could sit while Denise was on dialysis and read a book for the whole time, I was now struggling to concentrate on watching films I’d watched several times. I thought all of this was related to Denise having to go to Southmead Hospital, but I couldn’t work out why. It wasn’t the first time we’d had to make these trips. It wasn’t the first year of Denise being on dialysis – it was approaching the 16th year. It took a few nights for me to realise what was causing me to struggle. The satellite dialysis unit at the hospital was smack bang opposite the maternity unit that our eldest son Thomas had been born sleeping at. It was probably the closest we’d been to ‘returning to the scene of the crime’ in all that time and it had subconsciously been piling on top of everything else. Once I realised what was getting to me, I thought that was it, that just by recognising it I’d dealt with it.  



So far, I’d not dealt with my dad passing away, I’d had an interview for a job I really wanted that had become vacant at a less than ideal time, I’d thrown myself into organising a launch game, I’d kept up with my commitments to Bristol Sands, I was trying to help my wife through the punishing schedule of work and long trips for dialysis and then this. I hadn’t yet broken, so I thought that I’d beaten it and had come out the other side unscathed – despite displaying all the symptoms of anxiety.



I looked back and apart from feeling a bit tired was thinking I’d been mentally tough enough to ride it all out. 



Turns out I’m a dumbass. 



By now it was November. It was time finally to think about calming down a bit and relaxing and looking after myself. At least that’s what I’d tell parents I speak to at support groups. No not me. There was another football game to be organised and the Sands’ annual conference where I’d receive my award along with the other winners was on the horizon. Despite a couple of very good friends from Bristol Sands having words with me about why I was getting the award, I was still finding it difficult to get my head around it. 



I was also starting to realise I had been a dumbass for not dealing with my dad passing away. For putting it off; something I’d confided in to my wife and a couple of friends (John, Kaeti, Aimee, Hayley, Michelle and Natalie to name a few). I was realising I was heading for a fall and was trying to anticipate it. Not so I could push it to one side but so I could be ready for it. Although I was realising I’d been a dumbass, I was still being a dumbass for thinking I could anticipate it. I kept thinking if I could get past the next thing I was doing, I could deal with everything then. The trouble was I kept looking for things to do to avoid it. I promised myself that after the Sands conference I’d catch up on my university work (oh yes, I’m studying through the Open University for a Psychology degree in my ‘spare time’), I’d get to Christmas when there would be a natural break and take that time as an opportunity to recharge physically and mentally. 



Turns out (yet again) I’m a dumbass.

  

I’d never been to a Sands conference before. Turns out that as emotionally draining and overwhelming as it was, it probably saved me from myself. What was overwhelming about it? There were many things that were overwhelming. The first was the number of people outside of Bristol Sands that recognised me and wanted to speak to me. I just think of myself of being ‘Pete from Bristol Sands who does a bit of social media stuff and runs the football team.’ It's strange when you find out what an impact that makes outside of the Bristol Sands area.



After co-hosting a workshop on how the death of a baby impacts on dads, I found it overwhelming that people were coming up to me and asking for advice on how to help reach out to more dads. I’m just Pete from Bristol Sands and people are asking me for ideas?? The most overwhelming part was receiving one of the Volunteer of the Year awards. It was overwhelming to think people had taken the time to nominate me, to think that ‘Pete from Bristol Sands’ had made that sort of impact.  



At the end of the conference as we were all stood around saying goodbye to people and enjoying a glass of prosecco, it was Roxanne (my friend from Bristol Sands) who was probably the first person (even before me) who recognised how overwhelming the day had been for me. I was really touched that she’d noticed and was talking to me about it. It really helped calm me down before we started our journey home. I was gutted that I was not getting the same train home as my Bristol Sands friends (Roxanne, John, Hilary and Anna). I can look back now and see that I could’ve done with the company rather than have a couple of hours to myself and in the company of my own mind.



There were one or two moments on the journey back where I started to well up thinking of all that had happened over the last few months. After I got off the train at Weston, I felt different, almost calm. I did think to myself that I’d won. That I had beaten the anxiety and depression that I’d been anticipating for months. The fall that I was expecting.  



Turns out I’m a dumbass. 



It was a Facebook post the next day that broke me and made me realise I hadn’t begun to deal with these issues. It made me realise I hadn’t looked after myself mentally at all. It was my wife (the current Mrs Byrom) who had written that post on Facebook. I was trying to get comfortable with winning the award. So, decided to post a picture of it on Facebook. Denise made this comment -  



‘So proud of my husband whose commitment to Sands is constant and who always carries on trying to help others – regardless of the grief he feels – especially following the loss of his father this year and the loss of our son which is always in his mind and heart. Peter – I know while you seem externally to be fine you need to be kind to yourself and ask for support and understanding when you need it and share your feelings – others assume you are there for them but do not think of you as they are thinking only of themselves – grief is a selfish mistress’ 



Ten minutes later when I finished crying, I realised I was a dumbass and needed to do something. I thought I was clever enough to either deal with all the emotions the experiences of the last few months when I was ready or that I could get past them altogether. I’d read what the symptoms of anxiety and depression are. I’d recognised them in myself. I just thought I could live with them. 



Turns out I’m a dumbass. 



On Wednesday 27th November, after talking to Denise and the managing director of the company I work for I went to the doctors and told him how I was feeling and what had happened over the last few months. Probably about 12 seconds into what I told him he’d made one of the easiest diagnosis of his career. The doctor signed me off work for a couple of weeks. I’d been diagnosed with anxiety and stress. It actually felt good to be told that. It felt like a weight had been lifted – for someone to tell me that.  



For the last couple of weeks, I’ve spent a lot of time at home just relaxing and clearing my mind. I’ve taken time away from most of the things that had been keeping me going for the last few months. Unusually for me I’ve spoken to some friends and told them how I’ve been feeling and what has been going on.



Now it’s time to tell everyone.



I hope by telling you all what’s been going on that it might help someone to not make the same mistakes I’ve made. I hope that someone else reading this might recognise some of these symptoms and seek help themselves. That help might take different forms. It might be that help is a visit to the doctors. It might be that help is having a conversation with someone about how you’re feeling whether it’s with a professional or with a friend.  



Below is a link to the NHS website where you can find the symptoms of anxiety and depression. There are also the contact details of Sands and Samaritans who can be contacted if you need support. 





Sands Contact Details - https://www.sands.org.uk/contact-us  




Please take a minute to look at these. I have and I’m trying not to be such a dumbass!! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baby Loss Awareness Week - A Fathers Story